Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

IP SLB on IOS -> High CPU problem

I have configured a simple WWW load balancing between two servers on IOS 12.2(33)SXI1 running on VSS:

It is doing server NAT translation. I though this was done in hardware:

ip slb serverfarm WW
nat server
real 1.1.1.10
  inservice
!
real 1.1.1.11
  inservice
!
ip slb vserver PROXY_VIP
virtual 1.1.1.12 tcp www
serverfarm WW
inservice

From the moment i enable this -> CPU shoots to 100%, IP INPUT process is highest.

even with less than 10 sessions to the VIP

Hardware: SUP720

Is this because of the NAT ?

PS. The VLAN 1.1.1.x is used for other servers also. So it has some heavy background traffic also. I hope not all traffic is punted to the CPU for the NAT ?

regards,

Geert

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: IP SLB on IOS -> High CPU problem

Geert

Do you know whether you are running in dispatched or directed mode ? - see this link to describe which one is which -

6500 - IOS SLB

If you are running in directed mode all traffic is handled by the MSFC and not the PFC ie. it is software switched and this can put a large load on the switch. This is where a dedicated load-balancer such as the ACE module can be used because all the load-balancing is then handled in hardware by the module itself.

Jon

Bronze

Re: IP SLB on IOS -> High CPU problem

Hello Jon,

I am running in directed mode (i know the "worst" mode, i am doing server natting)

BTW . I found the reason for the high CPU:

One of the real servers is already taking 30Mbps of traffic today (from other systems). Once i put my virtual server in "inservice" the switch punts all this traffic to CPU..auch ! Even if no traffic is seen to the vserver ip

Proof: the second real server is taking 0% of load currently. When i removed the busy one from the config -> my CPU doesn't hit 100% anymore and it works. During a heavy download, CPU increased to 40% (single session).

Conclusion: 30Mbps is too high for SLB with NAT on SUP720 :-)

regards,

Geert

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content