Views
Helpful
Replies

%IP_SNMP-3-SOCKET: can't open UDP socket

gservicios
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

On our network we have an issue with one switch. It continues given us the following message:

%IP_SNMP-3-SOCKET: can't open UDP socket
Unable to open socket on port 161

I've tried to found a solution but I only found the following explanation

"Configure at least one interface with an IP address or specify
the no snmp-server command to remove the SNMP server process. Contact your Cisco
technical support representative if problems persist or if it becomes necessary
to add memory."

We already have configured an IP address, we cannot remove the SNMP process and the SW has sufficient memory. 

SW05#sh ip int brie 
Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
Vlan1                  unassigned      YES manual up                    up      
Vlan4                  2.xx.xx.xx      YES manual up                    up      

snmp-server trap-source Vlan4

2 Replies 2

HI, 

What is the version of this switch ? 

as you know this error usually occurs when the SNMP server is started using the snmp-server community configuration command on a router or communication server with an interface that has no IP address configured. Another possible cause is low memory.

Recommended Action: 

Configure at least one interface with an IP address or specify the no snmp-server command to remove the SNMP server process.

Another work around is to use the no snmp-server commands when no snmp is configured on your device.

at the moment I would suggest you to consider a software upgrade to a newer version, most of the times this issue is in old versions.

best regards, 

Claudio Gonzalez 

I solved by putting interface VLAN 1 in shutdown.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card