cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

IP translation

Hello,

I have a question about IP translation. Suppose that I have 6 machines and each machine have about twenty touch panels (Proface) which have assigned IP adress. Unfortunately (made by manufacturer) on each line touch panels have the same IP adresses. I am not allowed to change IP adresses and network mask.

For example:

Line A:

(Touch panel 1) 172.28.3.1

(Touch panel 2) 172.28.4.1

Line B:

(Touch panel 1) 172.28.3.1 --> 172.29.3.1

(Touch panel 2) 172.28.4.1 --> 172.29.3.1

Line C:

(Touch panel 1) 172.28.3.1 --> 172.30.3.1

(Touch panel 1) 172.28.4.1 --> 172.30.4.1

etc.

To each port of router I will connect switch which connects one machine line.

Is it possible to set it up by static NAT on one router? What kind of router can do it? Thank you in advance for helping me.

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: IP translation

Lukasz.

You might be able to get away with doing this is your "router" is a device which supports SVI's and multiple VRF's wit a feature known as "NAT Virtual Interface" or NVI.

This document will give some insight into how it may be done

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t14/feature/guide/gtnatvi.html

As far as the device type - depending on the number of ports you want, a good Cat switch should do it - something like a 3560X or maybe even a 2960, but you may need to go to a 4000 series to get the features - you'd need at least IP Base featureset, maybe even Enterprise to get the NAT stuff you want.

Contact Cisco (your account manager if you've got one) for recommendations as to switch type.

Cheers.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Just to clarify.

Of the Catalyst switches only the switch supports NAT so don't go for a 3560/3750/4500 as these will not.

All routers support NAT as far as i know.

Jon

Thanx a lot !

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content