Views
Helpful
Replies

IPTV and IGMP

anasmomo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have IPTV system deployed in the network, there are two options from the client side to join a channel "group" either using hardware "set box" or using software that the client can install in his PC.

The problem is that in the soft method the client can run "join" more than one channel “group” in the same time, which result is a more consuming of the bandwidth on the WAN link to the clients in the remote sites.

My question is that is there any method to limit the concurrent number of the groups that the client can join in the same time "per switch port"?, I mean limit the number of concurrent sessions per client to one.

Please note the type of the edge switches is 3560

Thanks

Anas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies 3

Toivo
Level 1
Level 1

Is

interface

ip igmp max-groups X

what you're looking for? See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_44_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp2238313 for more information.

dariusz.lipka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am designing IPTV solution based on Cisco Catalyst 6500s and Cisco 2950Gs switches on my network as well.

Have you checked IGMP filtering? At some point you will approach "ip igmp snooping limit" or "ip igmp max-groups" commands , which allows limiting per port or VLAN etc.

I am using in my IPTV deployment Motorola and Amino set-top-boxes and self-developed software client based on VLC opensource.

If you have further questions you can email me directly.

Best regards

Dariusz Lipka

Thank you Dariusz, i think the ip igmp max-groups will work. the clients in our network can use VLC opensource and i will try to limit them from opening more than one channel in the same time.

Thanks again

Aans

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card