cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPX on same layer-2 vlan, but over 802.1q trunk

msrohman
Level 1
Level 1

Our company is setting up a temporary IPX network for Novell. The clients will either be DOS IPX clients or Windows clients with gateway services. These clients will reside on Cisco-3550-switch-a. A Novell server will reside on Cisco- 3550-switch-b. There will be a fiber-obtic (802.1q) trunk connection between both server and client switch. Both environments will be on the same VLAN. I'll have to pass this VLAN info over the trunk.

Will the IPX communication pass over the Ethernet ports and hence over the trunk?

I heard enabling portfast helps.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

Yes your IPX traffic should go across the trunk link.

Enabling portfast can help. We had a problem a long time ago with IPX where the client boots up and issues a GNS (Get Nearest Server) request. If portfast is not enabled then the GNS gets lost because the port is not forwarding the traffic.

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

Yes your IPX traffic should go across the trunk link.

Enabling portfast can help. We had a problem a long time ago with IPX where the client boots up and issues a GNS (Get Nearest Server) request. If portfast is not enabled then the GNS gets lost because the port is not forwarding the traffic.

HTH

Jon

Thanks, Jon.

I appreciate the quick response.

-Mike

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

As long as server and client are in the same VLAN it should pass traffic with no problem. If it were going to cross between VLANs then you would need to arrange for IPX routing. But within a VLAN it is just local traffic. At layer 2 there is not much different about an IPX frame.

I believe that portfast is very helpful for IPX devices.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick. This does help.

-M

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: