Views
Helpful
Replies

Is bpdu filter enable best practice for access ports with portfast

darrenriley5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could someone please confirm if applying bpdu filter enable on access ports with portfast enabled is best practice?

Thanks

Darren

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

BPDU guard will error disable the port if it detect BPDU (another switch).

BPDU filter will turn off portfast if it detect BPDU.

If a BPDU is received on a Port Fast-enabled  interface, the interface loses its Port Fast-operational status, and  BPDU filtering is disabled.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swstpopt.html#wp1095752

HTH,

jerry

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally, for an access port, I'd go for STP portfast and BPDU Guard enabled.  For trunk ports I have both disabled.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Darren,

>> Could someone please confirm if applying bpdu filter enable on access ports with portfast enabled is best practice?

No it isn't, use bpdu guard + portfast it is more safe.

if you make a search in the forums you will find several issues caused by bpdu filter (possible bridging loops)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depend on your company's policy. If you want the port to be hard down when someone plug a switch into a portfast enabled port, then you should use bpdu guard. If your policy is to allow switch into portfast enabled port, then bpdu filter is a better approach.

HTH,

jerry

I thought you could use both. BPDU guard to protect a port if it receives a BPDU so error disables the port.

Then BPDU filter simply to stop sending BPDU's from the port.

BPDU guard will error disable the port if it detect BPDU (another switch).

BPDU filter will turn off portfast if it detect BPDU.

If a BPDU is received on a Port Fast-enabled  interface, the interface loses its Port Fast-operational status, and  BPDU filtering is disabled.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swstpopt.html#wp1095752

HTH,

jerry

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Personally, for an access port, I'd go for STP portfast and BPDU Guard enabled.  For trunk ports I have both disabled.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Darren,

>> Could someone please confirm if applying bpdu filter enable on access ports with portfast enabled is best practice?

No it isn't, use bpdu guard + portfast it is more safe.

if you make a search in the forums you will find several issues caused by bpdu filter (possible bridging loops)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Many thanks for everyone's replies. A CCIE engineer recently came and configured two Nexus 7000 switches for us and applied the spanning-tree bpduguard enable and spanning-tree bpdufilter enable on every access port which I found strange. Now I have confirmation I will remove the spanning-tree bpdufilter command from the access ports.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card