cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is it possible to split voice an data coming from the same cable??

Ruben2
Level 1
Level 1

I hope you guys are ok and before I start, just thanks to everyone.

I am starting to prepare my Cisco training however I just find myself into a problem at work.

I have PC and phone (VoIP) connected throught the same cable, meaning that the phone, which is PoE, makes the Switch funtion, therefore just 1 cable reaches the Cisco Switch, model SG500X-48 48-Port Gigabit with 4-Port 10-Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch.

I wonder to know whether is possible or no make the following. I would like to create 2 VLAN to make the diffence between data and voice. Would it be possible without splitting the cable in 2 reaching the Switch with 2 different lines? In other words, Is it possible to create different VLANs to separate Voice and Data that run over the same cable?

To be honest guys, I imagine that this is not possible but who knows.

Thanks to everyfone for the answers in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In other words, Is it possible to create different VLANs to separate Voice and Data that run over the same cable?

Yes, possible and very common actually. So, the cable from the wall jack connects to the phone and a cable connotes the phone to the PC/laptop. You just configure 2 vlans on that port, one for voice and one for data. vlan 10 is data and vlan 20 in voice

Here is a sample config for an access port 

interface GigabitEthernetx/x/x
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 20

spanning-tree portfast

HTH

View solution in original post

It's common in corporate environments, as Reza notes.

Of course, for this to work, both the switch and VoIP phone need to support VLAN separation on a port. (I don't know what the your SG switches, or VoIP phones, support.)

When sharing a port on the switch for both data and VoIP, it's also a good idea to have QoS on the switch port to insure VoIP traffic gets priority over data traffic. (Also true if not using VLAN separation too.)

BTW. have see some VoIP phone bottleneck the PC's data traffic. I.e. sometimes the VoIP phone cannot support data at full wire-rate.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In other words, Is it possible to create different VLANs to separate Voice and Data that run over the same cable?

Yes, possible and very common actually. So, the cable from the wall jack connects to the phone and a cable connotes the phone to the PC/laptop. You just configure 2 vlans on that port, one for voice and one for data. vlan 10 is data and vlan 20 in voice

Here is a sample config for an access port 

interface GigabitEthernetx/x/x
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 20

spanning-tree portfast

HTH

It's common in corporate environments, as Reza notes.

Of course, for this to work, both the switch and VoIP phone need to support VLAN separation on a port. (I don't know what the your SG switches, or VoIP phones, support.)

When sharing a port on the switch for both data and VoIP, it's also a good idea to have QoS on the switch port to insure VoIP traffic gets priority over data traffic. (Also true if not using VLAN separation too.)

BTW. have see some VoIP phone bottleneck the PC's data traffic. I.e. sometimes the VoIP phone cannot support data at full wire-rate.

HI Joseph,

Thanks for your time in replying to it. I really appreciate it.

Good point about the bottleneck. I will check it and make sure about that.

All the best

HI Reza,
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate your time.

It makes sense. Thanks again for the help.

Now, just need to test, test and bring it to live environment.

All the best
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card