cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is MAC table updated when destination adapter doesn't respond

heemerson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a streaming media server with many users and sources, and two 2960 Switches. The server has 3 Ethernet adapters. Two are configured as a Switch Fault Tolerance team with one member connected to Switch A and one to Switch B. The third adapter also connects to Switch A.

For complex reasons, there are times when I need to disable the team and force traffic to the solitary adapter, or vice versa, without knocking off any listeners. (Reason is, I'm trying to trouble shoot a difficult problem on a production system, so any changes I make must take place immediately so as to not affect users.)

There are three IP addresses, and all are configured on the virtual adapter for the team, and on the solitary adapter. Only one adapter is enabled at a time.

I previously had Dell 5324 switches, and was able to simply disable the team then enable the solitary adapter to move traffic from the team to the solitary, or do the reverse to move traffic to the other media.

Now, however, with the Cisco switches, when I disable/enable, only the lowest number IP address of the three is discovered and passed to the newly enabled port. Packets carrying the other two IP addresses are not delivered.

Are the packets for the other two IP addresses still being delivered to the disabled server adapter?

Why does the lowest IP address move to the new MAC address and not the others?

Are there any configurable parameters on the 2960 to force this type of change on a more-or-less instantaneous basis?

thanks,

Harry

1 Reply 1

brispin
Level 1
Level 1

The ARP table in end stations, like servers, reflects what addresses on the local subnet. We would generally expect to find the default gateway in the ARP cache since the server will frequently communicate with the gateway.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6406/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805a75bf.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card