cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is no shut required on port channel interface?

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

I am just making a config script for a vss switch.

Is it necessary to say a no shut on the port channel while creating a port channel on two physical interfaces?

I am already including a no shut on the physical interfaces in my script.

I am very sorry for the basic question but i dont have a box to test and i need to submit this script.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gautamzone wrote:

Dear friends,

Is it necessary to say a no shut on the port channel while creating a port channel on two physical interfaces?

I am very sorry for the basic question but i dont have a box to test and i need to submit this script.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Gautam

You should not have to do a "no shut" on the port-channel interface, just the physical ones ie. "no shut" the physical interfaces, then configure the channel-group and the port-channel should be up.

Jon

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gautam,

in theory it is not needed, but I had to use no shut on port-channel interface some time ago on two C6500 with sup720.

In my case the bundle was LACP and the port-channel interface was created in shut state. To be noted that the C4500 that was at the other end of the bundle didn't need the no shut on the port-channel interface and was enough with an interface range to do no shut on member links

Even if it is not necessary, in a script I would put a " no shut" for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gautamzone wrote:

Dear friends,

Thanks a lot

Gautam

Gautam

You should not have to do a "no shut" on the port-channel interface, just the physical ones ie. "no shut" the physical interfaces, then configure the channel-group and the port-channel should be up.

Jon

Thanks a lot Jon for the help.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gautam,

in theory it is not needed, but I had to use no shut on port-channel interface some time ago on two C6500 with sup720.

In my case the bundle was LACP and the port-channel interface was created in shut state. To be noted that the C4500 that was at the other end of the bundle didn't need the no shut on the port-channel interface and was enough with an interface range to do no shut on member links

Even if it is not necessary, in a script I would put a " no shut" for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks a lot Giuseppe for your kind help. I will include it in my script

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card