Views
Helpful
Replies

Is sg300 sufficient for my network ?

stephane-silly
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I need some advices for the conception of the local network for my company. I have seen the sg300 switch that can be good for me (excuse my bad english, i am french). I have 12 servers (database + file servers) that i want to plug on the sg300 20 ports. I want to plug on it 3 switch sg300  52 ports that contains ipphone, desktops and  printers. (about 70 users)

Do you think  that the first switch will be sufficient and too robust for this  ?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

silly step wrote:

Hello

I need some advices for the conception of the local network for my company. I have seen the sg300 switch that can be good for me (excuse my bad english, i am french). I have 12 servers (database + file servers) that i want to plug on the sg300 20 ports. I want to plug on it 3 switch sg300  52 ports that contains ipphone, desktops and  printers. (about 70 users)

Do you think  that the first switch will be sufficient and too robust for this  ?

thanks

Assuming all your servers and devices are 1 Gb/s, they should be fine. According to Cisco's specifications, the switching backplane on each switch is capable of full duplex line rate on all ports (40 Gb/s on the 20 port switch and 104 Gb/s on the 52 port switch).

That's certainly enough grunt to deal with most of what you're suggesting here, and a lot cheaper than going with a bigger mainstream switch, although you need to be aware that these have only one power supply, and if they're critical you might not get the assurance of reliability you want for an office environment.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

silly step wrote:

Hello

thanks

Assuming all your servers and devices are 1 Gb/s, they should be fine. According to Cisco's specifications, the switching backplane on each switch is capable of full duplex line rate on all ports (40 Gb/s on the 20 port switch and 104 Gb/s on the 52 port switch).

That's certainly enough grunt to deal with most of what you're suggesting here, and a lot cheaper than going with a bigger mainstream switch, although you need to be aware that these have only one power supply, and if they're critical you might not get the assurance of reliability you want for an office environment.

Cheers.

hello

thanks for your answer

I am aware of the problem of reliability

That s surprising for me is the real difference of price with another switch with same capabilities. Hp models begins at hgher price !!

thanks

silly step wrote:

hello

thanks for your answer

I am aware of the problem of reliability

That s surprising for me is the real difference of price with another switch with same capabilities. Hp models begins at hgher price !!

thanks

You're just lucky Cisco and HP had a bit of a falling out recently, and Cisco is aggressively targetting HP's market. :-)

Please mark the question answered if you're happy.

Cheers.

thanks for your answer

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card