cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there an Upgrade Path release for Cisco WS-C3850 ?

flleandro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to upgrade two Cisco WS-C3850-24T whitch are operating in "SSO mode". They are using the release 03.02.03.SE and I want to upgrade them to release 3.6.6E (cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin).
Can I do that directly or it needs an intermediated release?
Is there an Upgrade Path release?
I'd apreciet any help!
Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

There is no upgrade path, you can directly upgrade to 3.6.6 using standard bin files copy and change boot variable or using the install mode if you are in install mode today (you can see that by issuing the show version command)

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

There is no upgrade path, you can directly upgrade to 3.6.6 using standard bin files copy and change boot variable or using the install mode if you are in install mode today (you can see that by issuing the show version command)

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco,

Many thanks for your quick reply!

They are using the install mode.

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
1 32 WS-C3850-24T 03.02.03.SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL
2 32 WS-C3850-24T 03.02.03.SE cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL

Just one more question:

I intend to perform the following steps to perform the upgrade:

Step 1 - Copy the new image to the 3850
#copy tftp flash

note:
When you copy the .bin file to a single switch, the install process replicates the file .bin to the other switches in the stack. Once the file is present, you can start next step. So it is not necessary to manually copy the .bin to the other switch.

Step 2 - Start the install
#software install file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin switch 1-2

Step 3 - Verify after reload
#show ver | i INSTALL

Step 4 - Flash Cleanup
#show flash
#software clean

Do you agree with this procedure ?

Yes you're correct

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco