cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there any good Cisco Router and Switch Simulator?

esokmasihada
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any good Cisco Router and Switch Simulator that is Free for download, and it supports all the functions of the real routers and switches?I have downloaded one simulator from the web, however, since it's a trial version, i'm unable to utilize all the available functions...

3 Replies 3

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

www.dynamips.cn

Thanks

Mahmood

Dynamips is very good, but can be frustrating to set up.

I use GNS3, which is a graphical front-end for Dynamips (which is itself a front-end for Dynagen).

http://www.gns3.net

Unfortunately Dynagen/Dynamips/GNS3 do not support emulation of Cisco switches, but they all support Cisco routers.

You need a real IOS image from a real router, and the simulation only supports 1700, 2600, 3600, 3700, and 7200 series routers. The latest version also supports PIX firewall simulation.

It's also possible to connect your virtual setup to a real network using the network card in your PC, but I've never quite managed to get this working.

You will need a fast PC, with a fair amount of memory - you can expect this to run rather slowly even if you're only simulating a couple of routers.

Also, if you plan on simulating 2600-series routers, you'll need to uncompress the IOS image as the simulation will crash if you try to use a standard compressed image. It uses RAR compression, so you'll need something like WinRAR to uncompress it (this is quick and easy, and only needs to be done once).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, check out the link below it's free to use, a Java base simulator and trainer.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le31/le46/products/products-ip-routing.htm

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card