Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

is this config possible?

I have a Cisco 3560G switch.

Currently we have a 10.1.2.x subnet that is present on vlan 10.

I want to add a 10.1.3.x subnet and dhcp for it and place it on vlan 3 (if possible)

I'm not sure how to go about this, I've created the vlan, but I can't get it to route correctly because I can't tell the switch look at itself as the route...

I've tried adding a secondary interface on vlan 10 with a 10.1.3.1 address but then there's no way for the dhcp server to know the client requesting needs a 10.1.3.x address is there?

Do I need another switch or router or something to get this to work correctly?

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: is this config possible?

If you just want to add another subnet  just make sure ip routing is turned on for the 3560 .  then the following

conf t

vlan 3

exit

int vlan 3

ip address 

Port config

int gx/x

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 3

switchport host

yes, actually i did that.

I added vlan 3,
assigned it an address

made that address the default gateway in dhcp

and assigned an ip-helper address to vlan3 that points to my dhcp server on vlan 10

everything works as far as getting an address and I can browse local things, but it seems I have some kind of DNS issue...like I can't get to google.com..

I can do an NSlookup and the server returns the addresses but I can't browse to it for some reason..still looking into it.

Purple

Yeah that doesn't sound like a switch issue .

Yeah, it was a firewall issue, so it's not my problem anymore! haha...thought I was losing my mind there for a while.

Views
Helpful
Replies