Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is Trunk correct? Why? (With graphic)

Hello Cisco'ers

I have the following scenario:

2 ASA's in Active Standby Failover config. Connected to a switch in a VLAN10.

To connect this to a Wlan Controller, do i need to set the switchport as trunk?

If yes, why?

Hope somebody can release me from the confusion.

THANKS!

434.jpg

3 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Hi,

If you have more than one vlan in your wireless network, than you need to trunk the connection.  If you have only one vlan, than you can keep it as access port.

HTH

Cisco Employee

Hello Reza,

I agree with you but at the same time, it is quite common that the VLAN in which the LWAPs communicate with the WLC is kept separate from the VLANs associated with diverse SSIDs. In that case, kakados2000 would need not only to configure the switchport towards the WLC as a trunk port, but also the entire switched infrastructure between the LWAPs and the WLC would need to support multiple VLANs. It really depends on how the lightweight AP infrastructure is deployed here.

Best regards,

Peter

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The WiSM 1/2 or WLC will always have mutltiple VLANs (Management, AP-Manager, Dynamic Interfaces).  So you need to configure the switchport(s) and the WLC with 802.1q trunking.  It would even be recommended if you bond these physical connections into an etherchannel/LAG.

As for your WAPs, if they are controller-based IOS then the WAPs should be configured as an ordinary access port.  If you have autonomous WAPs then these have to be configured as 802.1q trunking.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content