Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is VSS/VPC in Core Layer recommendable?

Hi,

we are evaluating VSS/VPC technology for use in Core and Distribution Layer Routers (Cat6K, Cat4K, N7K).

The benefits are clear so far (no stp, no hsrp, full bandwith, easy routing design etc.), but we are still discussing the resilience of the two members of a vss/vpc switch pair.

Are there any well known risks that a faulty member switch can affect the other member?

Are there any kinds of firmware or software updates which need both members to be rebooted at the same time? Or is vss functionality in general compatible between different OS versions and can be considered such as a normal ospf protocol neighborship between two different routers?

How are your experiences concerning this technology?

We are using many Cat45 with redundant Sup6 and Sup7, and we experienced a lot of problems especially concerning software updates where issu didn't work as expected and mentioned in the documentation, so downtimes have been much longer as allowed in a enterprise network. That's not the same as VSS/VPC I know because of this experiences we are careful with that kind of cluster technologies.

Best Regards

Thorsten

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I can't remember and could not find the bug ID, but there is one that is associated with the latest version of IOS that support fast-hello on the 4500 series. I am not sure what version you are running, but if you revert back a couple of versions that only support epagp and not fast-hello for dual-active detection, you issue may go away.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco