cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Isolating a mac address

luwhite
Level 1
Level 1

I have a rogue DHCP machine and have used Windows "dhcploc" tool - along with Ethereal - to track down both the ip address and mac-address of this rogue device. After obtaining both of these, I went to my switch (Cisco 2950) and ran "show mac-address-table" to find where the mac-address was physically plugged into the switch. The results do not show it to be on any FastEthernet port but rather on my Gigabit port. Even more oddly is, unlike all the other listings which show the ports as either FA0/1 or Gi0/1, this particular one is showing only "Gi0/". How do I find this device when it shows on my fiber port? I've traced everywhere I can think of. Thanks, Lu

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

What is on the other end of the fibre link ?

Jon

an identical switch (2950). I forgot to mention that the ip address of this unknown device is a 192.168.168.x which is clearly not our internal addressing scheme either.

Have you tried "sh mac-address-table" on this other switch then ?

Jon

yes, and it doesn't show this mac-address at all. Only the one switch does.

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

Grab another PC and have it request an IP address right before you do this. It could be that nobody has requested an IP address in 5 minutes, so the mac-address entries have aged out of your switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco