Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 891 - Recommended = 50 Users ?

Imran Ahmad
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

In the datasheet of Cisco ISR CISCO891-K9, it is written "Recommended = 50 Users"

Can anyone tell me what that means ?  does it mean only 50 users can be connected to the Router at a time ?

Thanks,

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In the datasheet of Cisco ISR CISCO891-K9, it is written "Recommended = 50 Users"

Don't worry about this information.  Data Sheets are written by the Sales & Marketing team.  

The question best determine if the router is appropriate for a particular site is:  What is your bandwidth now and what is your bandwidth in the next three years.  

Ask/answer this question and you should know what model of router suits for your site.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing the info.

one else question-   Why Cisco is putting 4-Ethernet-Ports on small ISRs (800-series),  but on Big ISRs 4400 they put only 3-Ethernet-Port default.   what is the reason behind it ?

4431, 4451 has 4 I believe. I don't know reasoning, scalability probably. You can add anyway WAN or switch modules if you need more ports of any kind.

800-series routers (execept the 890 which has an 8-port Layer 2 switch) has 4-port Layer 2 switch because it's designed to support small office.  

The bigger routers have Layer 3 interfaces. 

There are some PPS values you should check when buying routers. Or some routers can process more VPN traffic than others. For basic connectivity does not matter what the recommended value is.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Leo has already noted, routers are really sized based on their capacity, not number of users.  I've attached a Cisco whitepaper that explains capacity of various Cisco ISRs and provides recommendation based on "WAN" bandwidth.

To your later question, small office ISRs (i.e. 800 series) often provide some built-in L2 (Ethernet) edge ports.  This so you don't have to also provide a separate L2 switch.  Bigger L2 routers just provide ports for their usage, i.e. there's an assumption L2 edge ports will be provided by separate L2 switch(es).  However. often the mid-size ISR can take optional L2 expansion cards, making them much like a all-in-one, but bigger, ISR 800 series.

RON ROYSTON
Level 1
Level 1

Link below is the documentation you are looking for.

Cisco Published ISR Performance Guide

- Ron Royston, CCIE# 6824

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card