cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Issue with WS-X6704-10GE module and port status

Hello,

we have the following strange behaviour and I would like to know how to troubleshoot further on.

We have two 6509 switches with one WS-X6704-10GE module in each of them. There is an optical cable between the two switches plugged in  WS-X6704-10GE module on both sides. When you shut down the port on one side the other port still stays as up and you need phisycally to unplug the cable to have it down. The same behaviour is seen no matter on which of the two switches you shut down the port, the opposite one always stays as up and only removal of the cable makes it go down.

Is that a known behaviour and if not, how to proceed.

The ports are configured quite simply:

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-10

no ip address

udld port

The IOS version is 12.2(18)SXF8

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Vesko

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Vesko,

you' d better replace the Xenpak one side at a time until the issue is gone as the problem likely lies on the xenpaks.

To give you some background, some years ago the same issue was seen on this LC and at that time the issue was identified as a IOS bug (CSCef9646) affecting 12.2(18)SXD4. The issue was an incorrect firmware for the xenpaks. The issue got fixed and for sure train 12.2(18)SXF is not affected by that.

Sporadically the issue was seen again (in post SXF trains) but all of the time after thorough investigation, during which Xenpaks were sent to Cisco labs, it ended up being a faulty xenpak on one side (or on both sides).

So RMA the xenpak is the right thing to do at this stage.

regards,

Riccardo

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Out of curiosity, what is the first four letters of the serial numbers of the Xenpaks?

I don't know if this is related somewhat but I've been having issues with Cisco-branded 10Gb modules from the manufacturer Avago.  If I get new orders with this manufacturer, I create a TAC case and reject the module outright. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content