praveennoc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Here is my question ?

I have three core swithces and 8 acces switches

I configured VTP on twocore sitches same VTP confiduration

Q1:Which one will act asa server ?

Q2:what is the use of transparent mode in production any use for this ?

Q3:Suppose if i want add new switch in same production  what is the procedure ?

Q4where is all VLAN information and formate of storage?

Thanks in advacne ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Karthick Murugan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All the switches by default act as server. However, switch a higher revision number will propagate the VLANs to other switches in the same VTP domain(Show vtp status)

If the switch is in tranparent mode the configuration revision number resets to 0 and it does not participate in VTP and it doesn't stop any VLAN propagation from server to other switches.

Change the VTP mode to transparent(Which resets the revision number to 0) and connect it to the existing network then change it to client so that it receives the VLAN database from the server.

The vlans will be stored in vlan.dat(vlan database) and will be normall seen under flash

Hope it helps. Do not forget to rate if it really helped.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Thanks & Regards, Karthick Murugan CCIE#39285

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Karthick Murugan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All the switches by default act as server. However, switch a higher revision number will propagate the VLANs to other switches in the same VTP domain(Show vtp status)

If the switch is in tranparent mode the configuration revision number resets to 0 and it does not participate in VTP and it doesn't stop any VLAN propagation from server to other switches.

Change the VTP mode to transparent(Which resets the revision number to 0) and connect it to the existing network then change it to client so that it receives the VLAN database from the server.

The vlans will be stored in vlan.dat(vlan database) and will be normall seen under flash

Hope it helps. Do not forget to rate if it really helped.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Thanks & Regards, Karthick Murugan CCIE#39285

Sure :)Thanks for your help

Ihave one more question

In HSRP if we give same priority number in active and stand by . processhow they act when client communication

Ihave one more question

In HSRP if we give same priority number in active and stand by . processhow they act when client communication

By configuring non-default priorities, an administrator can define which router shall become active and which one standby independant from the other IP parameters.

If the HSRP priorities are the same on both routers, the (physical) IP-address acts as the tie-breaker: The router with the higher IP-address will become active.

HTH

Rolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card