cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

join multiple groups using ip igmp join-group

Tshi M
Level 5
Level 5

I am trying to have my routers joing multiple group using the igmp join-group command. It only works for one group.

I tried ip igmp join-group 224.1.2.1 100

but it rejects the command

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Etienne

Have you got an example that shows the command taking an optional argument after the group address ?

Is 100 meant to be an access-list.

Even in 12.4 IOS there doesn't seem to be an option after the group address.

Jon

Etienne

This link is for the "ip igmp static-group" command.

From 12.4 multicast command reference

=============================================

Use the ip igmp static-group command to configure static group membership entries on an interface. When you configure the ip igmp static-group command, packets to the group are fast-switched out the interface, provided that packets were received on the correct reverse path forwarding (RPF) interface. Once configured, static group membership entries are added to the IGMP cache and mroute table.

Configuring the ip igmp static-group command is unlike configuring the ip igmp join-group command, which allows the router to join the multicast group. This configuration of the ip igmp static-group command would cause the upstream routers to maintain the multicast routing table information for that group, which would ensure that all the paths to that multicast group are active.

=============================================

Jon

yep, I am running 12.4...But even that doesn't allow the addition of multiple groups under that command. Well, I don't think that I need it that much. I was trying to test the join of multiple groups without going through each one of them. I was able to test few of them. So, we should be good to go.

Thanks for your reply though

backing up Izack.

I have actually implemented this in production last week, and it works great.

class-map type multicast-flows MULTICAST

group 239.139.53.0 to 239.139.53.255

!

interface VlanXXX

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

ip igmp static-group class-map MULTICAST

Pls rate all helpful posts.

HTH

Sam

Hello,

Very interesting thread! I am running into a similar issue.Just want to check if the above "ip igmp static-group class-map" command can be used with PIM passive for stub multicast routing..currently i am testing with "ip igmp join-group" and ip pim passive and is working allright, and just want to move to "ip igmp static-group" commands for Production. The application is for MoH Multicast.

Thanks and Regards,

Mohan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card