Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Jumbo Frames and connecting non-jumbo Switches

All,

I wander if you can help with this.

I currently have 4 3560 switches connected in a Mesh topology. These are all set to use Jumbo Frames and so are all the Servers that are connected to these.

I now need to connect a 2950 switch to 2 of the 3560's which will have only desktop computers connected to it but i do not want to configure Jumbo Frames on this and any of the desktops.

Can this be done with out causing any problems?

Thanks for you help

James

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi James,

Yup if opposite port is not able to send jumbo frames, there is no need to enable jumbo frames on 2950...

HTH,

Smitesh

PS: Please rate helpful posts...

3 REPLIES

Hi James,

Can you tell us why you require Jumbo frames ??

Well, as far as compatibility is concerns, unless you are not running Q-in-Q, there won't be any major issue; apart from if any frame comes which is larger than default MTU of 2950 will be discarded.

HTH,

Smitesh

Thanks for the quick response.

I didn't really want to go into the switch setup as it is actually 10 switches with a few VLANs.

One of these VLANs is a Storage VLAN and is the reason I want to use Jumbo Frames, so that i can get the most out of my iSCSI SANS.

To do so, I have had to enable Jumbo Frames and as these switches only allow jumbo frames on or off (as aposed to per port or vlan) then i need to enable this on all 1000Mbps devices.

I have just realised that I have not enable Jumbo on the switches for anything that is connected at 10/100Mbps and the 2950 switches are only capable of 10/100Mbps.

As this is the case, does this mean that I do not have to change anything for these switches to connect and operate without causing any discards or problems?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Yup if opposite port is not able to send jumbo frames, there is no need to enable jumbo frames on 2950...

HTH,

Smitesh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content