Views
Helpful
Replies

jumbo frames for specific vlan on 3750

monodactylus
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering how to setup jumbo frames on a specific vlan other than vlan 1.  i.e. vlan 4000.  Is it as simple as setting system mtu routing to 9000 or whatever size I wanted, and is it possible to narrow it down to just one vlan?  Actually I see under the vlan interface this:

mtu           VLAN Maximum Transmission Unit

Do I need to set that in addition to the system mtu setting or perhaps only the mtu setting under the vlan?  So, i.e.

config t

int vlan 4000

mtu 9000

exit

Thanks,

Will

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I was wondering how to setup jumbo frames on a specific vlan other than vlan 1.  i.e. vlan 4000.  Is it as simple as setting system mtu routing to 9000 or whatever size I wanted, and is it possible to narrow it down to just one vlan?  Actually I see under the vlan interface this:

mtu           VLAN Maximum Transmission Unit

Do I need to set that in addition to the system mtu setting or perhaps only the mtu setting under the vlan?  So, i.e.

config t

int vlan 4000

mtu 9000

exit

Thanks,

Will

Hi Will,

If SVI is used, then in order to support large frames, you must increase           the MTU on the SVI to route the traffic between VLANs .

Check out the below link for more information

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a008010edab.shtml#c3

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card