Views
Helpful
Replies

Jumbo Frames - OSPF

schimeha1977
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

We are trying to implement Jumbo Frames on one VLAN.

As soon as I enter the MTU command on the VLAN interface - OSPF re-synchronizes and loads correctly...

Dec 17 14:08:03.844 CET: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 205, Nbr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on Vlan102 from LOADING to FULL, Loading Done

BUT redistributed routes from the other euqipement is not sent to me anymore.

As soon as I remove the MTU command - the redistr. route is there again.

Could you please help me ?

Is there any additional command on OSPF I have to use ?

br

Hans

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Generally, OSPF will not properly form an adjacency between two interfaces with different MTU. (OTOH, I am a bit surprised that one side says it is FULL .. but I don't remember the exact symptoms. Maybe it forms the adjacency but does not pass the database.)

There are two ways you can tackle this: one is to ensure you have the same MTU on both sides, and the other is some command like ip ospf mtu-ignore on the interface in question.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hirp_r/rte_osph.htm#wp1000796

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

Kevin is right on the adjacency formed but not the full exchange, though what you have looks a little odd.

Make sure both/all routers on the VLAN are configured with the same MTU. That should be the case anyway - any other configuration could lead to packet loss.

When getting to database exchange phase, one router becomes master and the other slave. If the master is configured with a smaller MTU, you may find things work, if the slave is smaller and you have a reasonable database it will fail - OSPF will reject received frames if they are above the configured MTU.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card