cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Just what can I do with a cluster of switches?

MARK CHRISTY
Level 1
Level 1

A stealthy question to be sure. Let's say I create a cluster of 4 2960-24Port switches with a cluster master 3560-24Port. I now have 4 switches that I can control with one IP address. So -- do these switches really now act as a single (stacked?) switch?

More specifically...

Can I create an etherchannel by using ports 1-2 of all four of the member switches, thus having an aggregate 8 port etherchannel? That is my main dilema, wanting to create an etherchannel across disparate switches. If that is possible, the fun can begin?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cross stack Etherchannel is only supported on the 3750 series when they are stacked.  It is also supported on the 6500 series when they form a VSS pair (similar to 3750 stack)

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cross stack Etherchannel is only supported on the 3750 series when they are stacked.  It is also supported on the 6500 series when they form a VSS pair (similar to 3750 stack)

HTH

Reza

sharifimr wrote:

HTH

Reza

Thanks. I didn't get that from the SW configuration guide (or couldn't find it explicitly), so a concise answer (no) is perfect. With my current hardware I guess a re-configuration of the physical topology is due. I appreciate everyones quick replies.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So -- do these switches really now act as a single (stacked?) switch?

NO.

Can I create an etherchannel by using ports 1-2 of all four of the member switches, thus having an aggregate 8 port etherchannel?

NO.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: