Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

L2 Asymetric loadbalancing

Hi all,

we have a part of a very huge L2 based metwork. On some towns we can create a ring in this network. I need to make loadbalancing throught this ring based on L2. My biggest problem is that  i need asymetric loadbalancig just on 2 places in network.Is there any way to make this with cisco Catalyst lan base 2960S?

I need to have redundancy and loadbalancing on Switch 6 and Switch 5.

But Link from Switch  is only 400 Mb/s and link from Switch 3 is only 200 Mb/s.

All other links are 1 gig based.

The redundancy and loadbalancing is needed only for 1 Vlan.

scenario.JPG

Please ignore STP blocked ports.

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES
Silver

L2 Asymetric loadbalancing

I don't see how that would be possible. STP will create topology based on cost and block some links. Even if you manipulate which links go blocking you could not still achieve load sharing. It's difficult to achieve load sharing at L2 unless it is by using portchannels and even at L3 it can be difficult.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.
Super Bronze

Re: L2 Asymetric loadbalancing

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For a single VLAN?  Well you can architect your STP topology so that the two low capacity links won't be the ones that block.

Controlling what traffic flows acoss those two non-blocked low capacity links might be complex.  For example, would might need to architect multiple gateways, but you didn't mention any L3. 

Normally for just L2, you use multiple VLANs so you can balance with per-vlan STP or MST.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content