Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

L2 forwarding of packets from FF:FF:FF:0A:0A:0A

I have some Ethernet-connected cameras that all have the same Ethernet MAC address FF:FF:FF:0A:0A:0A. They were originally designed to directly connect to a Windows PC, but they can also connect through a simple unmanaged switch.

A Catalyst 3560 switch won't forward packets to or from anything with that MAC address, at least not by default. Is there a way to convince the switch to do so?

It was my hope to replace the dedicated connections we have for these cameras with a separate VLAN for each camera, and switch them through our existing switch network. Given that all of the cameras use the same MAC address, putting them on the same network is out of the question, but different VLANs, where the only two devices on each VLAN were the camera and the PC that uses it, would be fine.

The switches run IOS 12.2(55) SE through SE3. I learned the camera MAC address from the PC's ARP table while the camera software runs; it turns out the cameras don't have a full IP stack either and don't even do ICMP.

--

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES

Bit 0 in first byte in mac address - ethernet mulicast frame flag. In your MAC address, firs byte is FF and mulicast bit is set. It is alsow not normal

------------------------------------------------------ Helping seriously ill children, all together. All information about this, is posted on my blog

In your MAC address, first byte is FF and multicast bit is set. It is alsow not normal

I never said this camera manufacturer was very bright... :-)

If this is a multicast address, would following the instructions in this tech note work?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content