Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

L2 interconnection

Good morning,

please can you tell me, if is it normal data traffic between  two HSRP L3 switches(active-standby) in L2 interconnection? I attached graph.

I think its too variable(up-down-up-down) Is it OK?

Thanks for your help!

6 REPLIES

Are you having any problems

Are you having any problems with the link then?

Thanks for your reply. No I

Thanks for your reply. No I havent. Just when I connect via console cable to standby and make ssh to active....there are longer responses as usually.... 

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It would depend on your topology.  Gateway ingress traffic will go to the active HSRP, but it might physically L2 transit the other HSRP switch to get to the gateway.  Once the gateway is reached, where might the L3 egress go?  How does return flow traffic flow?

Thanks for your reply. I

Thanks for your reply. I attached my topology. 

Make sure the Spanning Tree

Make sure the Spanning Tree Root for all your Vlans is the Active HSRP Router otherwise you may see traffic crossing the L2 link between the Distribution switches in order to get to the Active Gateway.

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unfortunately, the picture alone isn't sufficient.  Would also need to know your L2 spanning tree costs, your L2 costs, and source and destinations of your traffic.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content