Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

L2 port channel to L3 port channel

Is this possible:

SW1

int range fa0/1 - 2

switchport

sw mode access

channel-group 1 mode on

int po 1

sw

sw mode access

int vlan 1

ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

SW2

int range fa0/1 - 2

no switchport

channel-group 1 mode on

int po 1

ip add 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

I did this config and the links on SW1 did not come up. I should have investigated more but it was easier to just make a bew subnet and put 2 L3 port channels together. So my question is should this have worked or should it not have worked. My logic is that this is no differnt then putting a layer 3 link into a random switchport on that same vlan. In this scenario i am just bundeling more links together.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: L2 port channel to L3 port channel

Mike

Presumably fa0/1 & 2 on SW1 were in vlan 1 ?

If so yes this should work. In fact on a 6500 running Hybrid this is how you would configure that end of the etherchannel.

Jon

Correct it was Vlan 1. well vlan 10 but for simplicitiy i used vlan 1 in this example. I thought it should work. With a small network and the abundance of private subnets i just took the easier route :). But its good to know it should work. I must have typoed something.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Didn't know that you could until I found this:

Configuring the Fast EtherChannel

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/8540/cnfg_gd/3cfg8540.htm#xtocid40429

Views
Helpful
Replies