cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 device recommendation

Bruce Reed
Level 1
Level 1

I have secondary Internet service dedicated for the most part to some wireless VLANs for guest and developer use. Right now a PIX is serving as the gateway and this works nice as I can DMZ the vlans and supply one-way inside access from our core to devices on the PIX DMZ  vlans.

I am upgrading the link to a 300 Mbps metro ethernet link and need to replace the PIX. I can use an ASA, but I'm wondering if it's overkill for this situation. I know some access routers would work fine in this application, in fact, I've tested a 1941 which will do everything the PIX does now, but I know they lack the throughput to give me 300 Mbps wire speed. I thought a good L3 switch like a 3560 might suffice here, but I do minimally need nat for the outside connection and the VLANs behind the device need access back into the core for DHCP and DNS, plus, I do have to link it to my core to let hosts behind it communicate with devices on the wireless vlans.

Can anyone recommend a good solution for this? It doesn't have to be Cisco btw -- I'm agnostic here. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the services you need, it requires a router.

Based on the bandwidth requirement, the 3925/3945 fits the bill.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If NAT is required, I believe that will eliminate most small L3 switches, even the Metro versions.

Unfortunately, although 300 Mbps is trivial for most modern L3 switches, you'll need a higher end ISR to handle that much bandwidth.

Cisco recommendations:

350 Mbps - 3945E

250 Mbps - 3925E

150 Mbps - 3945

100 Mbps - 2925

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card