cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 switch "ip services" installation...

snickered
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the market for a L3 switch. I'm interested in WS-C3560G-24TS-E or WS-C3560G-24TS-S. I won't need the features that "IP Services" offers for the time being however the time might come where I will need the functionality it provides over "IP Base". My question is, if I purchase a WS-C3560G-24TS-S will I be able to install the "IP Services" image at some point? I'm assuming I'll have to purchase a license but will the hardware I have work? Or when I purchase the license will I be provided with some sort of module I install to upgrade it to the WS-C3560G-24TS-E model? TIA.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steven,

You can upgrade your WS-C3560G-24TS-S with IP services image and like you mentioned, they only thing you have to pay for is the license. As for WS-C3560G-24TS-E, this is a different model and you can not upgrade form you current switch to this one.

Here is a data sheet for 3560 switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

HTH

Reza

Thanks. I see the "IP Services" software available on the Cisco site. So, when I purchase a license will they send me a new activation code of some sort? Or is this upgrade on the "honor system"?

For original 3560/3750 switches (i.e. non-E series), "honor system".

Hi.

Actually, if you order a WS-C3560G-24TS-E you already have a switch with IP Services image so there's no need for upgrading.

The naming convention with -S and -E comes from the times when the images were called Standard and Enhanced instead of as they are called now IP Base and IP Sevices.

HTH, Ingolf

Correct, although I hadn't considered the possible confusion of "-E" series with the part number for the installed image that Ingolf is addressing.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card