Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

L3 switch to L3 switch

hi,

suppose we have two organizaiton A and B. (both are seperate and have their own intervlan routing) - attached is a visio diagram.

Ospf is turned on on sw A to reach the vlan 10 and 20 from the routed site (192.168.1.x). Similarily Ospf is turned on on sw B to reach the vlan 30 and 40 from the routed site (172.10.1.x).

Now if i have to connect both these switches (Sw A and SW B - both being l3 and running ospf), can i use a l2 trunk link or l3 link. what is cisco best practise design for connecting l3 sw to l3 sw? (i understand if you connect l3 then it makes life easier) but i use l2 trunk then will things work as normal or any special config needed ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

L3 switch to L3 switch

if you just want connectivity b/w Location A and B, just a trunk link would do but if you want the location A vlans to reach location B vlan's then L3 link is recommended and a routing protocol or default route is required across these locations.

will let experts to comment on this.

-Vijay

L3 switch to L3 switch

Thanks vijay

can i have a trunk link between the both and still run ospf on both switches (is this cisco best practise?) to reach inside networks on both sides ?

Cisco Employee

L3 switch to L3 switch

No it cannot be Trunk. the link connecting both the switches has to be a Routed port to run OSPF between them.

-Vijay

L3 switch to L3 switch

nope still works with trunk. i have tested this. strange !!

Purple

L3 switch to L3 switch

Sure it would work as a trunk as long as the vlan has a L3 SVI on each side .  Basically the same as a L3 routed port except you are using an SVI instead of putting the address on the interface itself .

L3 switch to L3 switch

it does work without svi as well. for example i have vlan 10 on Switch A. if i make the link between Sw A and SW B a trunk and create a vlan 10 on SWB then i can still route through vlan 20 from Sw B. (iVLAN 20 can be reached through VLAN 10 and so as 192.168.1.1.x subnet on SW A

Views
Helpful
Replies