cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 topology diagram with a large number of networks

BRANDON BAILEY
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on redesigning a network that is using a single class B network for there LAN workstations and servers. I proposed for them to separate the two and put all of their servers into one class C network and the workstation in another class C. They stated that they wanted 14 separate networks for the workstations, different for section of the building, and 28 for the servers. The reason for the 28 is due to the fact they didn't keep track of how they used their address space and they do not want to renumber servers due to firewall rules. I have 50 networks hanging off of the collapsed core switch "WS-C6513-E" and finding room for all of these network is quite difficult. Does anyone have any experience with creating network topology diagrams with a large amount of networks hanging off of one device? I have attached a doc of what I have done.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Brandon

Sorry, you did say that in the last bit of your first post.

Last time i was doing topology diagrams i believe Visio had a pop up function where you could click over it but obviously if you are printing them out that does no good.

Unless you can summarise them to one entry with a note of how many subnets are being used within the summary i can't think of a way to do it. You could match the vlan number to the subnet (which you have partly done) and then just list the vlan numbers with the network prefix and make a note the subnet is derived from the vlan number.

Jon

View solution in original post

I typically use a cloud and label it "User Community" or "Server Farm". You could also link the shape to data (Shape Data in Visio). I typically don't put Address Spaces on diagrams that are not directly relevant to the diagram, there's a spreasheet for that. The last way, again in Visio, would to put the all the networks on another layer that you can hide/unhide as needed. I usually buttons to make it easier (see image).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brandon

I have 50 networks hanging off of the collapsed core switch "WS-C6513-E" and finding room for all of these network is quite difficult.

What exactly do you mean by this ?  I'm asssuming you don't mean port space as you had the same number before.

Can you clarify.

Jon

Room on my topology diagram document. 50 networks hanging off of of one network device does not leave a lot of room on the page.

Brandon

Sorry, you did say that in the last bit of your first post.

Last time i was doing topology diagrams i believe Visio had a pop up function where you could click over it but obviously if you are printing them out that does no good.

Unless you can summarise them to one entry with a note of how many subnets are being used within the summary i can't think of a way to do it. You could match the vlan number to the subnet (which you have partly done) and then just list the vlan numbers with the network prefix and make a note the subnet is derived from the vlan number.

Jon

I typically use a cloud and label it "User Community" or "Server Farm". You could also link the shape to data (Shape Data in Visio). I typically don't put Address Spaces on diagrams that are not directly relevant to the diagram, there's a spreasheet for that. The last way, again in Visio, would to put the all the networks on another layer that you can hide/unhide as needed. I usually buttons to make it easier (see image).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card