Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP Etherchannel to a Dell server

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have configured 2 Intel nics on a Dell server as a 802.3ad team and I need to configure the switch end too.  The ports need to be in VLAN 1028, but I think I have configured this wrong, should it look like this?

interface GigabitEthernet3/0/25
 description BACKUPS VLAN 1028
 switchport access vlan 1028
 flowcontrol receive on
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 6 mode active
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/0/26
 description BACKUPS VLAN 1028
 flowcontrol receive on
 channel-protocol lacp
 channel-group 6 mode active

The port channel is created, then I just add the vlan:

interface Port-channel6
 flowcontrol receive on

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Your config looks correct.

do a "show ether-cha summary" to see the ports in this portchannel.

HTH

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3
Hello, I've configured it that way now and I can ping the IP of the server now, but I don't get use of the full 2gb bandwidth from both NICs. Maybe it is my testing method, but I'm using iperf and I have SNMP running on the 2 NICs and the virtual team IP that I had to create so I can get almost realtime bandwidth info. When I use iperf it seems to only flat line 1 of the NICs and the other is left idle. Any ideas?

Hi

if you use the same addresses and session information, you always hash to the same port in the channel.

Check this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12023-4.html

Thats not the way etherchannel works .  For any given network conversation between client and the server it will flow down a single port in the channel so the max you will ever get for a single conversation is 1 gig .  I

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card