Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LAN backup

Hi, i have two lines that are connected off two switches (a 4500 and a 6500). One of the connections goes via an MPLS cloud to connect with the other switch, while the other line goes via a backbone. The two links on both sides are in the same VLANs (e.g links on 6500 are both in VLAN 8, and links on 4500 are both on VLAN 100). I want to make one of the links (the one via the MPLS cloud) a primary link, and the other link the backup link. I tried to create two tunnels across both links, and advertise them via eigrp, thus using the offset-list to make one active and the other redundant, but it was difficult, since both links are in the same vlans on both ends, and thus understand the same source and destination addresses. Please advice me on what to do. Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: LAN backup

can you share topology of the network?

how 6500 and 4500 switches are connected to each other?

maybe you can think of default routes configured on both switches, administrative distance of default route via backbone higher than the static route via MPLS.

or maybe you can think of running HSRP with object tracking between this switches.

hope to help .... rate if it does ...

Re: LAN backup

Yeah thanks,..but the issue i have with float static is, most times, you'd have to clear the route table before the failover takes effect. the backup link is connected to an ADSL router which, is connected out to the Internet, and the primary link is connected to an 1800 router which, is connected to an MPLS cloud. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies