Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

LAN Expansion

Hello,

I would need to expand my LAN. My network consists only of CISCO active devices only. I have to add another one room/building to the current LAN (about 25-30 100Mb ports + at least 7 ports 1 GB).

My ?core? switch is Cisco 3550 (48x10/100 + 2x1000). The rest of the switches are connected (trunk) to this one switch. I have one VLAN set up.

I have to expand the LAN in quite a smart way. I would not like to make a stupid mistake. I decided to buy three switches (2xCatalyst 500 10x10/100/1000 + 1xCatalyst 2950T 48x10/100).

In the new room I am going to set up one Catalyst 500 and Catalyst 2950T (it would let me meet my requirements concerning the amount of ports + several spare just in case). The second Catalyst 500 I am going to set up in the cabinet where my current Catalyst 3550 is and then set up two trunks:

1) Catalyst 500 in new localization to Catalyst 500 in existing localization (via fibre optic cable and media converters).

2) The second Catalyst 500 to the core Catalyst 3550.

I would be very pleased and grateful if somebody could comment my idea. In theory it should work. But I am not sure if I have chosen the most appropriate devices.

Kind regards

1 REPLY
Views
Helpful
Replies