cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Redundancy

brian-utter
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out how to make my LAN redundant as possible. I am struggling with how to make my routers redundant. Money is not an issue as this point so I have options of purchasing more equipment as necessary. The biggest concern is our internet connectivity.

any suggestions would be appreciated. I have attached a Visio drawing.

4 Replies 4

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Bryan,

You can think of making etherchannels. I hope you have enough of free ports to make a good bunch of etherchannels for each connectivity between swicthes, else extra modules can be purchased.

Try to make the connectivity among access layer/distrubution layer and core layer swicthes a mesh topology (multiple connections, STP will take care of rest of the things).

For internet connectivity, you have to have two lines from service providers (or may be two diff service providers), using HSRP is an option for redundancy.

Each layer3 device can be 2 o rmore than 2 and configure for hsrp/vrrp, depending upon the device.

--gaurav

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Brian:

There is some pertinent information missing from your drawings.

Rather than ask you a long list of questions and type 10,000 words to help you, perhaps a link to different design strategies and how they relate to operational requirements and redundancy is in order.

Check it out. Its easy to read and full of excellent information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns656/networking_solutions_program_home.html

HTH

Victor

Great collection of pdf documents it is, Victor.

Thanks.

--gaurav

Youre welcome. feel free to rate my post if it helped you. :-)

Thanks

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card