cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN switched network

ashkanmanuni
Level 1
Level 1

anyone know what the average bandwidth for a company based on LAN games and Online games are?

(it could be any game)

what factors must take into account to design a LAN switched network based on hierarchical model?

cheers

8 Replies 8

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

It's difficult to say but I don't think a game would use more than around 50-100 kbit/s on average. That is for the gameplay and then you need to account for maps/patches etc.

Designing a network for gaming purposes is not any different from regular design. What you need to account for though is to have enough bandwidth on the WAN and to make sure that you provide a good latency. Get a fibre for the WAN if possible.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I doubt most on-line games would exceed more than 1 Mbps.

However, I suspect on-line games would benefit from low latency and don't "appreciate" any packet loss.

So for maximum performance, you'll want a LAN design offering minimum latency and no packet loss.

To reduce packet transmission latency, you'll want your edge hosts on 100 Mbps or gig.

To reduce per hop switch latency, you'll want as few hops as possible (ideally only one switch) and, you may want "cut through" forwarding.

Nice one guys,

Joseph, How can I minimun latency in LAN as well no packet loss? with protocols, switches,...

How packet transmission latency is reduced when all of hosts are connected to access switches on 100Mbps? why not 10 or 1000Mbps?

on the other hand, imagine for a LAN game you need 1Mbps bandwidth. There are 4 VLANs(12,24,36,48 users in each VLAN) and you must use hierarchical model( access,distribution and core layers)

and just are allowed to use VLAN,Trunk,VTP,DTP and Rapids PVST+.

How can I reache to this amount of bandwidth in LAN?

Ashkan,

Your questions are "odd".  Is this school-related questions?  If they are, we need to rephrase our responses or your instructor will immediately know you're not the one who's doing the "thinking".

Leo,

It depends on who is reading the question. I do not think for sharing knowledge and information you need to pass school or instructor gives you a good mark.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Joseph, How can I minimun latency in LAN as well no packet loss? with protocols, switches,...

How packet transmission latency is reduced when all of hosts are connected to access switches on 100Mbps? why not 10 or 1000Mbps?

"... or gig." = 1000 Mbps

Why not 10 Mbps?  Because transmission latency, for any size packets is reduced as bandwidth is increased.

How no packet loss?  With sufficient bandwidth so there's little need to queue, and if you do need to queue (which again we want to avoid), sufferient buffering so packets aren't dropped.

on the other hand, imagine for a LAN game you need 1Mbps bandwidth. There are 4 VLANs(12,24,36,48 users in each VLAN) and you must use hierarchical model( access,distribution and core layers)

and just are allowed to use VLAN,Trunk,VTP,DTP and Rapids PVST+.

How can I reache to this amount of bandwidth in LAN?

Why must you use hierarchical model?  Modern data center designs, which are aimed at minimum latency, often no longer use the 3 layer design.

If you have multiple VLANs, and we cannot route, hosts won't be able to contact hosts on other VLANs.

Don't understand your last question.

Thanks Joseph.

At least I got some idea.

My last question maybe is a bit hard to be answered.  I know it depends on many factors. But please answer me as general.

What does it mean when it is said a LAN has 1Mbps bandwidth? For instance, if the LAN has 50 or 100 users how is the bandwidth going to be shared for 50 or 100 and how can it be estimated that how much every user will use it? Is it controlled by the model of switch, protocol or software?

cheers

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What does it mean when it is said a LAN has 1Mbps bandwidth?

I don't know - the context is unclear.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card