cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN switching

Anuj Singhi
Level 1
Level 1

Their is one wierd issue that I am having. I have a port which is configured as access vlan for a server. It was working before but since the server team has reset the nic the ip on that nic is not pingable. The port is showing up and mac is learning from the right vlan but I am not able to ping it from the directly connected switch, though its pingable from core switch.

One more thing is that there is no input output rate but the packets output and bytes are incrementing.

switch 1#sh int GigabitEthernet6/0/9
GigabitEthernet6/0/9 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
  Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 0023.ead5.da89 (bia 0023.ead5.da89)
  Description: st-w1061-nlb
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 0/255    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 1000BaseX
  Media-type configured as  connector
  input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output 00:00:48, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d02h
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
  5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     203145 packets input, 177989285 bytes, 0 no buffer  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
     Received 101588 broadcasts (13009 multicasts)
     0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
     0 watchdog, 13009 multicast, 0 pause input
     0 input packets with dribble condition detected
     38601730 packets output, 16650629772 bytes, 0 underruns  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Can anybody help me on this.

5 Replies 5

robbo.sutto
Level 1
Level 1

Are the core switch and this one sourcing pings from the same L2 network?

Different, the server is connected directly to the edge switch through the above mentioned port and core and edge switch is connected through ten gig interface. Anything related to incrementing output packet and bytes.

It's odd that the server is pingable from your core, but not from your access switch. Can you provide the output of a 'show mac add' from the access switch port, a 'show arp | inc' for the IP of the server on the core, and a ping from both devices highlighting the source interface that you're using? I take it that there are other servers on the same access switch and same VLAN that you CAN ping?

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

Hi anujsinghi_84,

Please check your default-gateway is configured correctly on the access-switch, I assume switch is configured in layer2 mode where server is connected.

thanks

Rizwan Rafeek

The default gateway is configured fine . All the servers on that switch are working fine and we have problem with one of the server nics connected to this port so I am guessing for any port problem if anyone could tell me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: