Replies

Layer 3 etherchannel subinterface & Broadcast domain

prasad.gsmc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following scenario

A cisco 6500 series switch with local vlan 10 and SVI 10 with ip 1.1.1.1 /24

A layer 3 etherchannel on the same switch with multiple sub interface.

One of the sub interface on the etherchannel is intented to be encapsulated with vlan 10. is it feasible to have such config on my box ?

if yes I have one more dream :-)

is it possible for me to use this new subinterface (which is encapsulated with vlan 10 ) and talk to a sytem which is part of vlan 10 on the other side of the ethechannel

the summary path will look like below

host in vlan 10 > SVI 10 on swith 1 > Etherchannel sub interface 10  on switch 1 > Etherchannel sub interface 10 on switch 2 > SVI 10 on switch 2 > destination Client in vlan 10>

will it remain a dream or any hope ?

please help

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Prasad,

>> will it remain a dream or any hope ?

A dream or a nigthmare use L2 trunk etherchannels for this scenario

There are two types of problems:

address overlapping you cannot use ip addresses of the same ip subnet on different interfaces of the same device.

Each device should have only one L3 object connected to the a single broadcast domain

Hope to help

Giuseppe

taylormf1
Level 1
Level 1

I would pick either Switch 1 or Switch 2 to host the VLAN 10 SVI. Then use dot1Q Etherchannel trunks (L2 only) between the switches. I think this would greatly simplify your design. There is no reason for both switches to have a LVAN 10 SVI.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card