cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

layer 3 etherchannel !

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, can some 1 explain me the difference between layer 3 and 2 etherchannel ? ( kindly also refer me a cisco doc also ), and suppose i have 1841 router with 2 fastethernet interfaces then can i make a layer 3 etherchannel based on these 2 interfaces ?

2 Replies 2

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

I really don't think that there is much of a difference between layer 2 & layer 3 etherchannels, besides that layer 2 are switched interfaces, and layer 3 are routed interfaces. Here's a great guide to configuring them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

Mark

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

The basic difference between L-2 and L-3 EtherChannel is that an L-3 EtherChannel has all the feastures that are available to an L-3 interface. Though it doesn't offer much help in pure LAN Switching environment, however the benefits are higher when one is combining Routing with the LAN Switching environment i.e. you may include Routing Parameters to engineer traffic patterns or you may include L-3 based ACL or even Network Manangement Features for the logical interface.

HTH

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card