cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 License question on supervisor 32

david-flores
Level 1
Level 1

I am thinking about upgrading to the sup32 at the core of my network, and came across the following q&a regarding the sup32, and wondered if somebody could help me get a better understanding.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_qanda_item0900aecd801ff38a.shtml

The second question and answer mentions that an additional Layer 3 license is needed for routing other protocols. Can this be obtained by simply logging on with my CCO Id and downloading this from the software download section, or is there someplace else I need to get the license, like from my reseller. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

It works just like a router - except that the base image on a SUP32 doesn't do much layer 3 except rip and static routes if I remember correctly.

If you want an IP Services image, or an advanced enterprise services image (or whatever) then you need to buy one from your reseller.

It's very important to factor in software costs when buying Cisco kit - an advanced enterprise services IOS for a SUP32 actually costs exactly the same as the SUP32 itself.

HTH - plz rate if useful.

Andrew.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card