cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 port on Cat OS

j.tandel
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 6000 series CatOS switches which are in different VTP domains.I want to connect them as Layer 3 ports.How to configure it on CatOS.On IOS it's no switchport with IP addres, but on CatOS how to do so.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

CyberDjinn
Level 1
Level 1

make a vlan and asign ip address to vlan

and switchport port in that vlan

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

When using Hybrid OS on 65000 you cannot configure a switch port as Layer 3.

On cat OS you have to make a vlan on the supervisor engine.

switch(enable) set vlan x a/b--> where x is the vlan and a/b is the module/port

Then go to MSFC and create the layer 3 SVI for the same vlan

switch(enable) switch console

Router# conf t

interface vlan x

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

no sh

HTH,

-amit singh

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The first thing to check is to see if the supervisor has a MSFC daughterboard attached to it , if not then what you have is one big layer 2 switch . If its hybrid then in the msfc create layer 3 SVI for the vlan you want then port in . This will make a routed connection to that particular vlan .

What i understand is i create a commom VLan say 150 in both the VTP domains.I assign a port on 6000 on both the VTP's on this vlan ID.i go on both the switch MSFC's & assign a IP in a common subnet. And finally i connect this 2 ports.

Will this resolve this issue.

Thanks

Jevin Tandel

Hi Jevin,

Yes, You are right about it. Also make sure that if you want configure a trunk between these switches in different VTP domain, you have to hardcode the trunk to dot1q. When the switches are in different VTP domain they donot negotiate the trunk automatically and a trunk will not be established.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: