Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switch vs Router for terminating ISP link

Peter Coggle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am a newbie to the world of routing and switching.

Our company is planning to start a new site and the internet service provider is providing a 100 Mbps link.

I am confused about the options about where to terminate the ISP link.

Can I terminate it on the layer 3 switch 3750X (which will also be the core switch for the remote site)?

or should I need to buy a new 3925 router to terminate the ISP link?

What are the general guidelines to decide? Can you please help?

Regards

Pete

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For a general guideline, you select hardware to meet both performance and feature requirements.  ISRs have a much, much richer feature set than L3 switches like the 3750X.  Without knowing what your feature requirements might be, I would lean toward the 3925.

View solution in original post

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

You need a router, your switch does not support NAT.

I suspect you have been presented with a RJ45?

Martin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For a general guideline, you select hardware to meet both performance and feature requirements.  ISRs have a much, much richer feature set than L3 switches like the 3750X.  Without knowing what your feature requirements might be, I would lean toward the 3925.

Thanks a lot Joseph

Is there a tool I can use to decide if I get more details on the requirements?

Regards

Pete

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

The feature navigator tool (support contract requirement?) might be used, but you normally start with your requirements and then see if they are met.

PS:

An example is what Martin mentions, i.e. routers generally offer NAT and "small" L3 switches, like your 3750X do not.  What we don't know is whether you'll need NAT, although there's a good chance you will if want your LAN users to have Internet access and if you don't have any other appliances.

Another example might be site-to-site VPN, again you'll find this feature on most routers but not on most "small" L3 switches.

Martin Carr
Level 4
Level 4

You need a router, your switch does not support NAT.

I suspect you have been presented with a RJ45?

Martin

Thanks Martin

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Hello, Peter. ISR would be the best solution in order for you to support NAT. Check this link for a comparison of ISR that can suit your requirements. (http://cs.co/9009i00N). Please send me an e-mail (adawa@cisco.com) if you have additional concerns or need local Cisco support. Kind regards and hope this helps! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card