Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switching on Cisco WS-C2960X-48FPD-L

huwyhuwy123
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

I've 2 Q's I'd like some help with

1. We have bought some Cisco WS-C2960X-48FPD-L switches – do they do Layer 3 routing out of the box?
  2. Assuming the answer to the above is no, can we do a software update to the above or have we bought the wrong kit?

Really appreciate any help with this.

Cheers,

Huw

4 Replies 4

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

I think that X series of switches have "IP lite" version (something like 2960-XR) which have most of L3 functionality.

Upgrade from one IOS (LAN lite to LAN Base or IP lite) is not supported - you have to buy in start adequate version...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Thanks Dragan. So just to make sure I've understood, are you saying we can't upgrade the WS-C2960X-48FPD-L and will need to buy new switches?

Cheers,

H

You can't upgrade - and you need XR 2960 switch...

BTW you can do static routing and intervlan routing with LAN base if thats enough for you..."sdm prefer lanbase-routing"

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

xavier.le-goff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

•  WS-C2960X-48FPD-L , L is for LANBASE Software Image so it should support basic static routing.
  • WS-C2960X-48FPD-LL , LL is for LANLITE Software Image that do not support basic routing, and I am not sure, but it cannont be upgraded to LANBASE image [it was the case for the first version of C2960 LANLITE].

Best regards,

XLG.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco