Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switching on Cisco WS-C2960X-48FPD-L

huwyhuwy123
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

I've 2 Q's I'd like some help with

1. We have bought some Cisco WS-C2960X-48FPD-L switches – do they do Layer 3 routing out of the box?
  2. Assuming the answer to the above is no, can we do a software update to the above or have we bought the wrong kit?

Really appreciate any help with this.

Cheers,

Huw

4 Replies 4

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

I think that X series of switches have "IP lite" version (something like 2960-XR) which have most of L3 functionality.

Upgrade from one IOS (LAN lite to LAN Base or IP lite) is not supported - you have to buy in start adequate version...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Thanks Dragan. So just to make sure I've understood, are you saying we can't upgrade the WS-C2960X-48FPD-L and will need to buy new switches?

Cheers,

H

You can't upgrade - and you need XR 2960 switch...

BTW you can do static routing and intervlan routing with LAN base if thats enough for you..."sdm prefer lanbase-routing"

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

xavier.le-goff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

•  WS-C2960X-48FPD-L , L is for LANBASE Software Image so it should support basic static routing.
  • WS-C2960X-48FPD-LL , LL is for LANLITE Software Image that do not support basic routing, and I am not sure, but it cannont be upgraded to LANBASE image [it was the case for the first version of C2960 LANLITE].

Best regards,

XLG.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card