cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3: Switching

colmgrier
Level 1
Level 1

I'm proposing the following layer 3 LAN topology. All connection link will be point to point routed ports (L3). EIGRP routing will run between all LAN switches using a /30 subnet mask.

The problem is the customer want to dual home all servers (AD & IPT servers) to the two core switches over VLAN 60 (6509-1 & 6509-2). Should I use a layer 2 link to carry HSRP traffic between the two switches. (please see diagram).

Will this cause problems with Eigrp routing. Please advise on network design.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Colm,

yes you need a l2 link to carry the shared vlan

the servers need to use an active/standby strategy because they connect to two different switches.

note: this in part violates the hierarchical network design you should connect the servers to theh server farm functional block however this is possible.

EIGRP will not be a problem it will advertise the shared vlan/subnet to the core.

Traffic coming from the core can also need to go through the interswitch link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Colm

If you want to connect servers to the core switches and run HSRP then you will have to have a L2 link between the 2 core switches. Ideally you would have your servers connected to 2 access-layer switches which are then uplinked with L3 but i appreciate there is an additional cost to that.

So yes you need a L2 link either an access link in the server vlan or a trunk if there are multiple server vlans.

It won't affect the routing but i would

1) make the vlan interfaces passive under eigrp then no neighborships will be formed over the L2 link ie.

router eigrp 1

passive-interface vlan20

where vlan 20 is the server vlan.

2) If it is a trunk link you will need to

a) only allow the relevant vlans across it

b) make passive all the vlan interfaces for vlans that are allowed on the trunk

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card