Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 Vs Router

Hi..

I am new in this field.

How a Layer 3 switch is technically different from a Router?

11 Replies 11

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The main difference is that a L3 switch does L3 forwarding in hardware and a router does L3 forwarding in software.

That said there are hardware routers as well so the lines are more blurred than they used to be.

In addtion there are a lot of functional differences eg. routers generally have more QOS capabilities, can do NAT (which most switches can't), can terminate more media types, can do IPSEC etc. etc.

L3 switches are primarily used when you have a number of vlans and you want to route between them. Compared to a software router they have much higher throughput. Some of the higher end switches do have more L3 functionality but they generally still don't have as much as a router. 

Jon

Hi...

Thanx 4 d reply...It was very helpful.

can u help me related with port security issue..kindly follow the below link.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12197626/mac-address-not-getting-sticked

Regards.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A router is a router because the vendor so labels it and a L3 switch is a L3 switch because the vendor so labels it.  wink

As Jon also notes, L3 switches generally have more hardware dedicated to packet forwarding (often very Ethernet only oriented) while routers usually have a much richer feature set and/or media support, but the line is blurred.

I've worked with some vendor X equipment labeled SSR (for smart switch router), so even vendors can blur the line.

Years ago, the 6500 and 7600 could use not only the same sups and some of the same line cards, they ran the same IOS image!  However the 6500 was a "L3 switch" and the 7600 was a "router".  The did differ, as the 6500 supported service modules that the 7600 didn't, while the 7600 supported special WAN cards that the 6500 didn't.  Personally, I suspected the difference was more due to vendor marketing then what could be done technically.

I've worked with some vendor X equipment labeled SSR (for smart switch router)

Enteresys.  Ahhhh ... Nostalgia.

Laugh - actually also before the spinoff/split.  I.e. vendor names on the box didn't (yet) start with an "E".

Cabletron.  Shows your age, Joe.  laugh

5 points for correct answer(s).  (I.e. vendors and my age - laugh)

Darn.  Those SSR were really good.  

I thought they were impressive for their time.  I still (personally) have four SSR-2000s.

LOL.  

Hi...

Thanx 4 d reply...It was very helpful.

can u help me related with port security issue..kindly follow the below link.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12197626/mac-address-not-getting-sticked

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card