Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer3 design

a.hajhamad
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I want to configure the Layer 3 design between the access switches to the distribution switches "routed port". I read alot of documents that recommend this design instead of L2 & STPs loops.

My question is that i have wireless controller with LWAPs, can i use romaing at this layer3 design?

Please guide to a document that use L# roaming.

Thanks in advance

Abd Alqader

1 Reply 1

Yes is the short answer. With LWAPP the AP's create a tunnel to the Wireless controller and the VLANs exist there. Typically the AP's are plugged in anywhere and as long as the DHCP scope that is supporting the VLAN where it is plugged in is configured with the appropriate option the LWAPP AP discovers the Wireless Controller. All Wireless traffic from the AP is tunnelled over the IP network to the controller where it is handled directly by the controller.

The only caveat to this is if you are using HREAP where one SSID maps to a local VLAN from the AP and other SSID's are tunnelled.

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card