cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layered Design Model and DHCP

Robert Juric
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to update my office's LAN. I've got two L2 access switches connected to two L3 distro switches which is connected to my edge router. My question is how to setup DHCP. Currently the router is acting as the DHCP server. Would I setup the ip helper address on my distro switches? I read that you can only configure the ip helper address on L3 interfaces... so would I configure it on the router uplink, or should my interfaces to the access switches be L3 as well? I'm starting to get confused on what should be L3 and how DHCP would be setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

robert.juric wrote:

I'm trying to update my office's LAN. I've got two L2 access switches connected to two L3 distro switches which is connected to my edge router. My question is how to setup DHCP. Currently the router is acting as the DHCP server. Would I setup the ip helper address on my distro switches? I read that you can only configure the ip helper address on L3 interfaces... so would I configure it on the router uplink, or should my interfaces to the access switches be L3 as well? I'm starting to get confused on what should be L3 and how DHCP would be setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

You need to set the ip helper address under the L3 interfaces for the vlans you have clients on. So if your access switches are L2 and are connected to the distro switches by L2 trunks and the distro switches have L3 SVIs on them for the vlans then you would add the ip helper address under the L3 SVI config on the distro switches eg.

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card