Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing for 4500-X switches

darren-carr
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

I am working on a design in which I plan to deploy the Cisco 4500-X in my aggregation/distribution layer of a new network design. I've been reviewing the licensing options and have a query. If I purchase the WS-C4500X-40X-ES do I also need to purchase a separate license, or am I covered with the switch purchase alone?

Thanks,

Darren

11 Replies 11

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Darren,

You need basicaly license to use/run the software on the Cat4500.

Please find ref for the same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps10902/ps12332/data_sheet_c78-696791.html

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate if this info is helpfull

Hi,

I'd read this datasheet but this is where the confusion comes. As you see with the attached files, if I wanted to buy a 32 port switch my only options are the 32 port switches with IP Base with front-to-back or back-to-front cooling. I then see there is an option to buy an upgrade license from IP Base to Enterprise services. If however I buy the 40 port switch '

WS-C4500X-40X-ES' this comes with 'Catalyst 4500-X 40 Port 10GE Enterprise Services, Front-to-Back Cooling, No P/S'.

Is this not stating that this switch comes with the Enterprise Services license already? I can't see an option in the licensing for this switch? There are no upgrades, no orderable parts, etc. To me, this suggests the switch is sold with Enterprise Service licensing already.

Cheers,

D

Part code WS-C4500X-40X-ES is a bundle that includes three line items; a 32-port switch (WS-C4500X-32SFP+), an 8-port expansion module (C4KX-NM-8SFP+) and the 'Enterprise Services' IOS feature set (C4500X-IP-ES.) Bundles are cheaper than buying all the items separately.

'IP Base' IOS is the standard shipped feature set. If you don't buy a bundle, such as the one above, then you must also purchase C4500X-IP-ES, in order to upgrade to 'Enterprise Services'.

Some switches, such as the 16-port model, are not available with a bundle to upgrade the IOS feature set. Perhaps this is where some of the confusion stems.

Thanks...

Can you tell me where you got this information from (i.e this is a bundle)

Cheers

A configuration tool for use by Cisco partners. I'm sure the part codes are in the 4500-X data sheet, but piecing it all together might not be so clear.

Don't forget your power supplies and any VSS DAC cables too.

The 1m DAC cable is part code SFP-H10GB-CU1M. There is also a 3m and 5m cable available.

I better just clarify that the switch will be given part code WS-C4500X-40X-ES. It is not the same as chassis switch bundles that retain their individual part numbers. I was attempting to simplify things, but then realised it might lead to more confusion further down the line.

Thanks, it's not so clear if you are new to these switches. Would be better if it was I've attached the two sections from the DS relevant to what I was trying to work out.

Do I need to order anything else other than the WS-C4500-40X-ES?

See post earlier, ref PSUs and DACs. Nothing else I can think of, except your SFPs of course.

Sorry, my question should have been more clear, I was referring to the switch and associated licensing.

Appreciate I need to order two PSU's for each 4500X and the DACs.

The 4500-X is very straight forward in terms of licensing. It's either 'IP Base' or 'Enterprise Services'. There's nothing else you can add on.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: